Gadzooks! 2008? You know those numbers add up to ten. This is a phenomenon the world has not known since...1900. Relatively speaking, that wasn't very long ago. Consider this a failed attempt at an quirky and timely intro. But, hey, here's a horrific segue for you:
SPEAKING OF 10!!!
Every December, a rash of top ten lists stretches across the blogosphere, creating a vast aurora which has no real function aside from coddling each writer's ego. That's why I'm saying to hell with top 10 lists! I'm gonna rank all the new albums I got my mitts on this year. Let's do it.
The Ultimately Incredible No-holds-barred Final Frontier of 2007 New Music Sequence of Excellence!*
*Only covers two dozen and change 2007 releases I bought.
And if you need a key...here you go:
33. Lucinda Williams - West
32. Fields - Everything Last Winter
31. BRMC - Baby 81
30. Ryan Bingham - Mescalito
29. Golden Smog - Blood On the Slacks
28. Mary Gauthier - Between Daylight and Dark
27. Willie Nelson/Merle Haggard/Ray Price - Last of the Breed
26. Lyle Lovett - It's Not Big, It's Large
25. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
24. The Clientele - God Bless the Clientele
23. The Afghan Whigs - Unbreakable (A Retrospective 1990-2006)
22. Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger
21. Okkervil River - Stage Names
20. Menomena - Friend and Foe
19. Johnny Irion - Ex Tempore
18. The Everybodyfields - Nothing Is Ok
17. Elliott Smith - New Moon
16. Ryan Adams - Follow the Lights
15. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
14. Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
13. Jason Isbell - Sirens of the Ditch
12. Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
11. Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
10. The White Stripes - Icky Thump
9. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
8. Fionn Regan - The End of History
7. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
6. Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
5. The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
4. The National - Boxer
3. Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
2. Radiohead - In Rainbows
1. Iron and Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
Just a few notes:
That Afghan Whigs collection is actually pretty incredible. My introduction to the band, and I plan on pursuing their individual records. I just wanted to reserve higher spots for new music releases, which is why it turns up in the mid twenties.
Biggest disappointment of the year: Arcade Fire. Hard to live up to their flawless debut though, so I guess it was almost inevitable.
Some major releases I didn't get to this year: LCD Soundsystem, Feist, Rilo Kiley, Interpol, Justice, The New Pornographers, and a few more. Definitely want to get to them, except for that Rilo Kiley and the Interpol, which I'll be fine without.
Check back soon for my top 50 songs of 07.